Other Stuff

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Dutch Light


A few years ago I went to a fascinating exhibition at the Vancouver Art Gallery: Vermeer, Rembrandt and the Golden Age of Dutch Art Masterpieces from The Rijksmuseum - in many ways it was a typical exhibition of the Dutch masters from the Golden Age. I grew up spending a lot of time in Holland and went to University there for a year, so I'd seen most of the art before, but they took a unique approach to how the art was displayed, and what stays with me the most was a video on "dutch light". Now every time I'm in Holland I stop and look up at the sky - and it does seem much more vast than the sky in London or Seattle. The only other place I've been that has rivaled the Dutch sky was when I lived in Iowa - it must be the flat land. 



It's even beautiful in the puddles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...